Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Week 7

Assignment: graphic with text



Craft: 
I  started this image with the picture of an outstretched hand that I used illustrator to turn into vector art. The color of the hand was achieved through many layers of different shades of tan and brown.  I added the world, using the elliptical tool and different paint brushes. The sun in the background is a gradient and the words are the sun's rays. I used two different fonts. 

Composition: 
I decided to only show an arm that come from the left side of the screen rather than to fill the entire image with the entire arm. It feels balanced because the sun is more on the right side of the page. I placed a globe in the hand because I felt it gets the many things that I want this piece to communicate through in a simple manner that doesn't overcomplicate the art. I decided to use a font that was spaced more closely together for the inside of the sun because when I think of the sun, it is a hot mess of flaming gases all kind of put together, and the rays are really quite distant from the earth. 

Concept:
it is based on song lyrics and the idea that life is an illusion, as is death. Some of the words around the sun say "The sun sets, but it never leaves". In a way, I imagined some religious superstitions with this, with the sun representative of a higher power, and the earth as the rest of life. There are so many concepts that are present in this piece, which is probably why I have enjoyed making it so much. You can interpret is to be talking about anything form global warming to friendship if you want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment